[geocentrism] Re: Space Shuttle Pics

Jack L
Please allow me to intrude. It's all about physics and the way your eyes
respond to light. Try this experiment. You'll need access to a 500W QI lamp and
a large white sheet and a rotary cloths line and a dark clear night at New
Moon. Well it doesn't need to be rotary but these are the most common here in
Oz; and while New Moon is best, most any time the Moon is below the horizon at
night will do. Of course you won't want to be on the foreshore in Blackpool
either -- I believe it's pretty well lit up there at night.
The drill is this -- go out to the cloths line where you've hung the sheet and
stand where you can see the stars but the sheet is just below your field of
view. The lamp should be between you and the sheet and directed to shine
directly on the sheet but so placed that none of its light shines directly into
your eyes. It will help if your clothes line is hidden from street lights. Get
used to the conditions -- a few minutes at least -- and have a willing
assistant who is out of sight, turn on the lamp without warning and notice how
the number of stars you can see diminishes. Then -- in your mind -- put
yourself in full sunlight with no atmosphere and surround yourself with white
and gold reflecting surfaces -- and think of how many fewer stars you would be
able to see that if all those reflecting surfaces were absent.
You could also try the reverse situation. It is said that you can see stars in
full sunlight if you are at the bottom of a deep well. I don't know if it's
true or not. However, if you don't have a well, two lengths of PVC 90mm storm
water pipe painted dull black on the inside -- one for each eye -- may well do
the trick. Arrange a light tight viewing aperture between your eyes and the
pipes and look up, again allowing several minutes for your eyes to adjust.
Again, I don't know if this will work but it sounds plausible.
This whole exercise is about reducing to an absolute minimum, the light which
can shut down your irises while maximising the opportunity for your retinas to
collect enough of the faint light from the stars to register an impression.
And remember -- cameras work on the same principles.
Paul D