[geocentrism] Re: Puzzle

  • From: "Martin G. Selbrede" <mselbrede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:16:59 -0500

We could also add two other observations about the pot:

(1) Why did the salesman come from afar? Was it possible the bad reputation of the pot had ruined his native land? Might the salesman have been the last person in his native land to buy the pot, and is now ruefully casting about far and wide to find the next patsy ignorant of the consequences of ownership?

(2) The king may be in a political quandary over the pot as well. As king, he currently rules his kingdom. If he purchases the pot, he'd have to keep it to insure it doesn't get into any other hands, but that would consign him to hellfire. If he sells it, or lets the salesman sell it to anyone else in the land, that new pot-owner could wish to become king, thus demoting the current king in the process. Therefore, the pot is too dangerous for him to purchase, or to allow him to let anyone else purchase as well. It's a lose-lose proposition in this light.

Of course, we're all evidently beating around the bush on this puzzle. That's what makes it fun.

Martin S.

P.S. We've been talking about the "albatross" but it's significant that Coleridge has the mariner shoot the albatross with his crossbow. The albatross was hung about the mariner's neck in lieu of a cross, as Coleridge put it. Moreover, the mariner survived his ordeal, but the pot offered to the Utopian king won't bode nearly as well. All that to say, the comparison is only superficially apt. If we want to retain the "around the neck" simile, "millstone" might be more appropriate to describe this dangerous white elephant.

On Apr 8, 2007, at 11:46 PM, philip madsen wrote:

The best answer I've seen so far, bar my own, even if I could not follow it.

Paul why not now give us your answer and save us going through the BS.