[geocentrism] Re: Puzzle

  • From: "Philip Stott" <pstott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:04:11 -0700

I can't see exactly where the joke is here. The opposition to Columbus was
because all reasonably educated people knew the earth's circumference (well
known since ancient Grecian times), and thus knew that India was so far away
Columbus could not reach it with the supplies he could carry. He was wrong,
they were right. But he was lucky. He hit America before he starved. He called
the inhabitants "Indians" because he was sure he had reached India. Wrong but
lucky. The story about widespread belief in a flat earth and that he would sail
off the edge was a story concocted about a century ago in an attempt to pour
scorn on the Bible.

Philip Stott