[geocentrism] Re: Moon landings?

  • From: "Gary Shelton" <garylshelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:57:25 -0600

Philip,

I thought I was kind of following you.  But you may have lost me on the
mental exercise part.  What do you mean, 'what stopped it moving?'  What
"it" are you referring to, exactly?  The orbit?  I assume this, and that you
mean that once you have "nudged" the polar orbit, what causes the orbit to
stop in a geosynchronous (did you mean geostationary here?) orbit around the
equator.

If this is correct, it seems to my feeble mind that Newton's First would
come into play and that the orbit would move first from polar to
geosynchronous to geostationary and then geosynchronous again and finally
returning to polar.  What force would act upon the satellite stabilize its
orbit?  I don't know....

If you'll recall, Neil Robertson on the first incarnation said to us that
geostat orbits were desired but very difficult to achieve, so that most of
the orbits ended up as geosynchronous.  Neil always made it sound like they
didn't have all that much control over these birds once they were launched.
He said that the rockets that would be used for periodic attitude adjustment
wouldn't last for a change from geosyncronous to perfert geostationary
status, if memory serves.  Besides, it wasn't that important, Neil had said,
to achieve the perfect geostationary orbit, so they didn't bother anyway.

I hope that was relevant.

Sincerely,

Gary Shelton

[Philip wrote:]
> In the vertical we have no problem of a hovering satellite. Centrifugal
and gravitational forces will balance...

> In the horizontal case though we do not.. The satellite is stationary and
not moving at all. Are we then moving from positive centripetal force to a
negative centipetal force...

> Let me close by posing a mental exercise. Remember the earth is not moving
here.

> Take the stable orbit   I have created around the poles, (imagine it as a
spinning ring, with a black dot on it, which it is. ) and nudge it slowly
till it has shifted 90 degrees to an equatorial orbit. It now is in the
exact same state as regards orbit, as our original geosynchronous satellite.