[geocentrism] Re: Moon Rotation

  • From: Paul Deema <paul_deema@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:08:58 -0800 (PST)

Philip M

OK -- I'll go through my reasoning with you. (you'll need to make reference to ThreeObjects.png)

Object A. Looking down on the two body system shown, the Black Spot needs to keep facing the primary and to remain in the centre of the disk. This can ONLY occur if a line joining the centre of the primary and passing through the Black Spot AND the centre of the satellite rotates around the plane of the orbit. To do this, the satellite MUST rotate at the same rate as the line. There can be no other rotation of the primary because this would cause precession preventing the Black Spot from remaining at the centre of the seen disk. Because it is rotating, it has angular momentum which has energy.

Object B. This is trickier as the satellite is in fact not rotating. As such, you could argue that it therefore has no poles and no equator but if I choose to define the location of poles and equator and then describe the view of the Black Spot from the primary, you would have to conclude that its radial velocity is zero. As such it has no angular momentum and therefore no energy from such a motion.

Object C. Here I have to make an embarrassing admission and seek your collective forgiveness. For this exercise, the Black Spot is shown on the wrong side of the satellite. (It was all clear in my mind when I put this together!) With the Black Spot moved 180 deg around the primary, it will now be in the centre of the seen disk with the North Pole to one side and the South Pole to the other, on the plane of the orbit.

The satellite begins its orbit and the Black Spot would -- if the satellite is not rotating -- begin to drift from the centre of the seen disk towards one limb still in the plane of the orbit. However, if it is rotating synchronously (one rotation per one orbit) it will drift towards the limb at an apparent angle of about 45 deg. After 180 deg of revolution (the satellite is now on the left hand side of the illustration) and 180 deg of rotation, the Black Spot will again occupy the centre of the seen disk having drifted in from the limb at an angle of about 45 deg. This can ONLY happen if there is synchronous 1:1 rotation per revolution. Since the satellite is rotating, it has angular momentum and therefore energy from this rotation.

This is not an idle exercise. The object was to retain the relationships but by shifting the axis of rotation from perpendicular to the orbital plain, to parallel to the orbital plain, the appearance of the motions is more easily visualised.

And if Allen is listening, I'd ask him -- where is his "... common point," to which this satellite is "...progressively radially oriented."

Paul D