[geocentrism] Re: Magnitude of scale

  • From: Steven Jones <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 00:29:30 +0000

Dad wrote:

"The use of 24 hours is fairly arbitrary"

Yep, it sure is, the Chaldians had a 12 hour day for example, but 24 is good I think.

Steven.

Dear Jack,

We can obtain a definition of 1 'second' in this modern era by using the monochromatic wavelength of light emitted by certain atoms, but original definitions of time were always based upon the regular movement of the heavens.

The use of 24 hours is fairly arbitrary, but it does allow for things like 15 degrees of rotation per hour, which is quite useful.

However, most people are not too interested in what time Orion rises, since they plan their day from morning to evening, so a system based upon the Sun rising is what we use for our everyday clocks and watches.

The difference of about four (mean solar) minutes between 24 mean solar hours and 24 sidereal hours is caused by the stars going around slightly quicker than the Sun.

In the heliocentric model, these two times are attributable to different components of the World's movement, whilst the Sun and stars are effectively fixed.

In the geocentric model, the difference is caused by the Sun going 'backwards' around its path, taking 12 months to get all the way round, whilst the path rotates nightly with the heavens.

Regards,

Neville