[geocentrism] Re: Integrity in science

  • From: Regner Trampedach <art@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:54:47 +1100

Jack,

  Astronomers know that we haven't seen any Oort cloud objects yet
- and we are not hiding that fact. Many laymen (including journalists)
skip the qualifiers, but that doesn't change the science behind - just
other peoples description of it.
  Also, we haven't yet been able to come up with a better theory for
the long period comets - and as scientists we can't just ignore them.
  Furthermore, observations of protoplanetary disks around other stars
have a component that looks very much like what we have inferred about
our own Oort cloud.
  The mass estimate is based one the statistics of long period comets
- it is not grabbed out of thin air - and most likely there are also
error-bars on that estimate, quantifying how uncertain the estimate is.
Think of it as a Gallup poll.
  The creationist assertion that there is no evidence for the Oort cloud
is obviously wrong, since you cited Oort's three observations.
  I don't know what work they refer to, but I can see a number of other
possibilities - And the presence of comets has never been used to measure
the age of the Solar system. Material from a comet, on the other hand,
could, I believe, be used for dating the Solar system.

    Regner

<http://au.rd.yahoo.com/mail/taglines/default_all/mail/spankey/*http://au.yahoo.com/worldsbestmail/spankey/>.