[geocentrism] Re: Flywheel experiment. urgent for ALL.

  • From: Paul Deema <paul_deema@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 09:38:08 -0800 (PST)

Philip M

Concerning the energy of the blue disks in the unlocked condition. Their energy will be proportional to mv^2. It doesn't matter whether they are going round and round tethered by the disk to which they are attached or going in a straight line (as would happen if their axles were to break). This example can legitimately assume that the mass of the blue disk is a dimensionless point. Your term 'peripheral speed' is fine with me -- and it will simply be measured in m/s.

If locked axles were to be released at full speed and the yellow disk braked, the energy due to mv^2 would be dissipated as heat in the break mechanism but the energy due to rotation in the blue disks would remain in the blue disks until friction absorbed it. And this is heart of the matter. The blue disks have energy due both to their centre of gravity linear velocity (your peripheral speed) and energy due to their radial velocity, if -- and only if -- they are rotating at ANY velocity from zero through the radial velocity of the disk to which they are attached up to any limit which you mechanism can sustain. Additionally, it doesn't matter in which direction they are rotating.

Truth is this. You can get all carried away with analysing ever smaller portions of the yellow disk -- first four blue disks, ultimately squillions of atoms but this is unnecessary. Empirically derived formulae exist for energy of rotation in spheres, disks and hoops where the objects are solid. Galileo was famous for determining these matters. Because he had no decent means of measuring small intervals of time, he devised a method of slowing the action so that he could measure the phenomenon with the tools available to him and he showed that objects rolling down an incline accelerated the fastest if they were spheres, middling if they were disks and slowest if they were hoops regardless of their dimensions or their mass. The mass didn't matter because the attraction of gravity is proportional to mass but if you have to accelerate it by application of energy then of course it will matter.

If I were doing this experiment, I think I would go about it this way. Take the lightest beam you can find -- aluminium tube, a piece of pine timber -- of significant length say three metres. On each end place a bicycle wheel horizontally attached by its axle. It would help if you could tie chain or other heavy material around the rim. Half way between the axles, place a bearing to suspend the apparatus and around this place a small diameter pulley wheel attached to the beam. Wind some cord around the pulley and place a weight on the end then run it over another pulley so that if allowed to fall, it will radially accelerate the apparatus. Conduct tests to see just how long it takes for the weight to fall a fixed distance with the wheels tied to the beam with string and again with the wheels free to rotate.

Paul D

PS A quick note in response to your 'Axis' post. I can't argue with anything you said but I would add that a rotating body will always do its damnedest to rotate about its centre of gravity. Just think of an unbalanced spin dryer.