[geocentrism] Re: Celestial Poles

  • From: Allen Daves <allendaves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 13:20:01 -0800 (PST)

We have already discused this Philip and even Regner Agreed to the
fundimentals..look at the diagram....

  That argument violates three preiviously agreed apon facts
  1. the two are not equal.....only the botom one would mimic the nightly
action
  2. a rotation still exist (and it is around the ecliptic)
  3. looking in another direction does not make a rotational effect disappear

  I will add also that the argument violates any and all experimentation....!?

philip madsen <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          Allen, you need to read this especially what I underlined, and be
sure you understand what is being said..    Philip.

  Animation #2 - daily (Solar) snapshots
---------------------------------------
EarthOrb3_10_trop.gif, please refer to this as Ani.2.
We now add the daily rotation/spin of the Earth around the celestial axis,
and we take a snapshot every tropical (Solar) day.

Notice how the line to the Sun (pink) stays at the same longitude - that
is the definition of tropical (Solar) day. The latitude of that line,
however, changes during the year - going from +23.5° in the Northern
summer (right) to -23.5° in the Northern winter (left) - that's why we
have seasons.

Allen, Neville and others, have suggested that cameras mounted (fixed) on
Earth, would see a rotation around the ecliptic axis (dotted line) during
a year. I have therefore mounted a camera on the equator to look straight
up at zenith (radially out from the Earth). I have mounted my camera to
look towards the Sun at noon, instead of out at midnight, but I hope you
realize that this has no consequence for this discussion.
The green line shows the direction of view of that camera.
During the year it sweeps out the equatorial plane of Earth.
It rotates around the Earth's axis of daily rotation = celestial axis.
If you look at it from above, the projection will make it look like the
camera looks straight towards the Sun - This is what Allen's and Neville's
figures depicts (except they have their cameras face the opposite direction
towards the local meridian at midnight). It is however, a projection effect
 - in three dimensions you realize that the camera (green line) only points
to the Sun twice a year - at the solstices.
It should also be clear that you can move the camera to any spot on Earth
and have it look in any direction - if it is kept fixed, it will only
see the daily rotation around the celestial axis (dashed line).
Taking snapshots every tropical (solar) day (24h00m), just means you are
taking pictures at an incrementing phase of the daily rotation whose real
period is 23h56m - the sidereal (stellar) day. For Each day, you let the
Earth rotate for 4 more minutes before taking a picture. A year of that
will complete a full ROTATION around the celestial axis. During the
same time you have completed a full TRANSLATION around the Sun.
Taking pictures every tropical (Solar) day does not depict a yearly motion,
just snapshots in different phases of the daily rotation.

Looking carefully at high-quality images taken every sidereal (stellar)
day (see Ani.1) you will see parallaxes for some of the closer stars
- this is the manifestation of the annual (translational) motion around
the Sun.

James, your drawing is beautiful and shows the same thing, as I show.
The only slightly misleading thing, is that you have drawn grid-lines on
Earth that are w.r.t. the ecliptic axis (green) - the grid should be tilted
to be aligned with the celestial (red) axis. I also agree with Neville and
Allen (I believe) that one of the blue "cameras" should be marked with a
different colour, to be able to follow the rotation.

Sorry for this post being so long, but there were many points to address.
I also try to keep misunderstandings to a minimum by rephrasing things.

    Kind regards,

       Regner