[geocentrism] Can we really say for certain?

  • From: "Gary Shelton" <garylshelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:00:18 -0600

Philip,

Thanks for this post, it was helpful in my understanding.

Are you limiting the angle of the space probe intercepting the planet it
slingshots around to any certain degree, or not at all?  Seems to me the
probe would have to be no less than a 90 degree intercept.  But I don't
know.  The probe would clearly get the greatest change in velocity with the
head-on (180 degree) intercept.

I think I can kind of see the paper possibility here.  The planet's velocity
speeds up the probe.  What I cannot understand is how could the technology
which couldn't maintain the radio connection between Grissom and the tower
in that famous incident Grissom commented on, "How are we going to
communicate from here to moon?", manage all the theoretical maneuverings
required for the slingshot to work the first time perfectly with these
multibillion dollar probes?  How fast does Jupiter orbit anyway?  100,000
mph?  200,000 mph?  At these speeds (if anywhere close to true) it would be
awfully hard for the probe to safely intercept the planet, wouldn't it?

Sincerely,

Gary Shelton