[geocentrism] Re: Ancient calendars

  • From: Carl Felland <cfelland@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:56:48 -0600

Gary,
New Moon is mentioned several times in the Old Testament and once in the
New (Col 2:16  Then do not let anyone judge you in eating, or in
drinking, or in part of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,).
There were specific activities associated with the New Moon.  These
included raising the Tabernacle (Exo 40:2  On the first day of the
month, on the first of the month, you shall raise up the tent of the
tabernacle of the congregation.),  blowing trumpets (Num 10:10  And in
the day of your gladness, and in your appointed times, and in your new
moons, you shall blow the trumpets over your burnt offerings, and over
the sacrifices of your peace offerings. And they shall be to you for a
memorial before your God. I am Jehovah your God. ), communication with
YHWH (Num 1:1  And Jehovah spoke to Moses in the wilderness of Sinai in
the tabernacle of the congregation on the first of the second month, in
the second year after they had come out of the land of Egypt, saying,),
special meetings (Lev 23:24  Speak to the sons of Israel, saying, In the
seventh month, on the first of the month, a sabbath shall be to you, a
call to a memorial, a holy gathering.  Deu 1:3  And it happened, in the
fortieth year, in the eleventh month on the first of the month, Moses
spoke to the sons of Israel according to all that Jehovah had commanded
him concerning them; 2Ch 29:17  And they began to sanctify on the first
of the first month, and on the eighth day of the month they came to the
porch of Jehovah; and they sanctified the house of Jehovah in eight
days, and on the sixteenth day of the first month they had finished.),
visits to prophets (2Ki 4:23a  And he said, Why are you going to him
today; it is neither new moon nor sabbath? note the threefold division
of days: 1 - work day because he was working; 2 - new moon; 3 - sabbath;
see also Eze. 46: 1 and 3), family gatherings (1Sa 20:29a  And he said,
Please send me away, for we have a family sacrifice in the city, and my
brother commanded me.), civil banquets (1Sa 20:34  And Jonathan rose up
from the table in the heat of anger. And he did not eat food on the
second day of the new moon, for he was grieved for David. For his father
had put him to shame. Note a two day New Moon festival as I understand
it).  The New Moon gives a period each month for activities outside of
the normal work week.

The only other phase mentioned is the full moon (Psa 81:3  Blow the
ram's horn in the new moon, at the full moon, on our feast day.). In
this verse new moon probably refers to 'month,' in this case probably
the seventh, and full moon the sign for the 15th day of the month, which
was both 1st day of Unleavened Bread and the 1st day of Tabernacles.  It
was also the 1st day of a non sanctioned feast (1Ki 12:32  And Jeroboam
made a feast in the eighth month, in the fifteenth day of the month,).
It makes sense to me that the pilgrimage feasts would be begun with full
lighting at night.

The moon is visible for at least a portion of the night all but during
the New Moon.  It is at this time that its reappearance is eagerly
sought.  The moon serves quite well to tell when in the month we are.
It is a calendar that man can't alter.

Carl