[geocentrism] Re: An off subject subject.

  • From: "Robert Bennett" <robert.bennett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:38:14 -0400

Not entirely on subject , re biblical discussions and political involvement,
may I get a few opinions on geocentrism as regards scripture, by asking for
comment on this following, which seeks to deny it..  by a

By Bro. Peter Dimond, O.S.B. who merely claims of no opinion or proof either
way.

  I place my comment in red.

DOES THE TEACHING OF SCRIPTURE ITSELF REQUIRE ONE TO ACCEPT A GEOCENTRIC
VIEW OF THE UNIVERSE?

???

Pope Leo XIII, Providentissimus Deus (#18), Nov. 18, 1893: "? the sacred
writers, or to speak more accurately, the Holy Ghost ?Who spoke by them, did
not intend to teach men these things (that is to say, the essential nature
of the things of the visible universe), things in no way profitable to
salvation?  [St.Augustine]. Hence they did not seek to penetrate the secrets
of nature, but rather described and dealt with things in more or less
figurative language, or in terms which were commonly used at the time, and
which in many instances are in daily use at this day, even by the most
eminent men of science. Ordinary speech primarily and properly comes from
the senses; and somewhat in the same way the sacred writers ? as the Angelic
Doctor [St. Thomas Aquinas] reminds us ? ?went by what sensibly appeared,?
[Summa Theologica, Pt. I, q. 70, a. 1, ad. 3] or put down what God, speaking
to men, signified, in the way men could understand and were accustomed to."
Noe here this is only a papal opinion, not an infallible offering.

Careful.  A papal  encyclical is not a Vatican press release of a papal
audience, but intended to teach the faithful.

It?s not clear that the passage above does or does not satisfy the
infallibility conditions, but I say ? so what.

All of the Bible speaks the truth, so if the universe was not geocentric and
was contrary to appearances - like HC contends ?then the 60 odd GC verses
would contradict Scriptural veracity.

BTW:  I thought the verse presented as counter-argument was pretty lame.

And it goeth down to that part of the mountain that looketh on the valley of
the children of Ennom:

ð   And it goeth down to that part of the mountain where men looketh on the
valley of the children of Ennom:

Robert B

????..

Bro Dimond has a vested interest in forming this opinion. It suitably
assists him in winning another doctrineal question, he opposes the doctrine
of Baptism of desire.

I oppose him on both counts..