[geocentrism] Re: 2 Axes of rotation - drawing

  • From: Paul Deema <paul_deema@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 00:35:21 +0000 (GMT)

Jack L
I've been thinking about your drawing too and am as puzzled as Marc V. This drawing seems to be some sort of hybrid of both HC and GC systems. And your later post says that the drawing is what you claim heliocentrists claim which I for one disclaim.
I see a number of terminology problems here -- let me address these first. [1] The Earth does not rotate on two axes -- it rotates on one axis and revolves around the Sun (surprisingly not shown). [2] The word 'traverse' means to cross, to follow a zig-zag course (several places).
Now problems of description. [3] It is not clear to me what is '..the world...'. If the green circles are a spot on the world how then does its surface encompass the plane of the ecliptic? [4] Earth rotates once in ~ 23h 56m not one (24h) day. [5] The Earth's orbit lies on the plane of the ecliptic, the 'axis' of which is the NEP not the NCP (nice to have the company -- welcome!) This is the axis about which the Earth revolves -- a circular translation. There is only one ecliptic plane -- not four, not 365.25 -- one! [6] That one pole circles another is just a figure of speech in relative terms used for illustrative purposes only. The stars are stationary. [7] As above -- there is only one rotation. You cannot compare radial velocity with translational velocity. 'Happening on very different time scales' would be closer.
I really don't know why you guys are so hung up over these issues -- the whole thing is dead simple. There are two motions -
1.   The Earth revolves around the Sun describing an ellipse on the ecliptic plane. The Sun -- the centre of mass of Sun/Earth -- is at one focus of the ellipse. This focus is also on the ecliptic plane. A line orthogonal to this plane passing through the Sun is known as the Ecliptic Pole. It points in a constant direction.
2.   The Earth rotates on its axis (you can't have one without the other -- is this a redundancy I wonder?) once in ~ 23h 56m. The axis of this rotation is inclined to the plane of the ecliptic. To a first approximation, there is no precession. This axis is thus pointing always in one direction. It is called the Celestial Pole and is inclined to the plane of the ecliptic at an angle of ~ 66.5 deg or 23.5 deg from the ecliptic pole.
3.   These motions do not interact. The Earth's axis of rotation could be inclined at any angle to the ecliptic plane and it would have no effect on its revolution. (See Uranus for example).
Paul D