[GeoStL] Re: rehabing rusty skillets

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:36:31 -0500

-
Rather than scrubbing for hours to get the rust out, try this.

1 Part Vinegar to 2 parts of Water. - Let sit for a few hours. I usually do
mine overnight. Next morning, just rinse the rust out and proceed with
seasoning the skillet. You can also make a big fire and boil it for sevceral
hours AFTER you get the rust out. This will remove any impurities in thge
iron and when you reseason it, it will be like brand new.

After it has been reseasoned, you might want to make sure you oil it after
each use. If it is a dutch oven, store with a folded paper towel inside and
a small piece of foil on the outside lip to keep the lid just off eneough to
let a bit of air in. The paper towel will absorb any moisture.

Also, make sure you cook good beans and some chili. Then you will need a
thorough inspection from me to make sure it was done right! LOL

Mike