[GeoSTL] Re: pop up ads

  • From: Brian Maddox <gowaddle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 06:23:54 -0700 (PDT)

Another way to deal with them is to run Mozilla under Windows / Unix
platforms (or Konqueror if anyone happens to be running KDE :).  If it's not
some type of spyware (Ad Aware does a good job of looking for this), then the
nice thing about Mozilla is that you can configure it to not accept pop-ups
that you didn't request.  I know that when I'm under Windows I use Mozilla
all the time now and haven't seen any pop-ups in a long time.

There's other software out there for Windows that will kill popups, but from
what I've seen the popup still appears briefly before the software "kills"
it.

--- Paul Konopacki <konopapw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Never had the popup ad problem you describe,
> as it relates to www.geocaching.com or
> www.geostl.com
>
> Accessing pages that are PART OF the www.geostl.com
> site will not produce popup ads.  However, if you happen
> to select a URL from one of our pages that links outside
> of www.geostl.com (click on a link to a cache page from
> the 'recent logs' page, or a link on the Geo-Links page),
> you are back at the mercy of the internet.
>
> Have you checked your system for SpyWare?
>
> RGS wrote:
>
> >  Has anyone else noticed the pop up ads when logged on to
> > geocaching.com or geostl.com? Since SLAGA "recent logs"
> > accesses the GC database of the latest logs, I assume
> > that's where the ads are coming from, since it hits the
> > URL. The only window I had open in the past 1/2hr was for
> > the SLAGA latest logs and there was 2 pop ups (X10 camera
> > and some vitamins). Earlier I had Geocaching only open and
> > I had the same ads pop up then.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
Our NEW WebPage!   WWW.GeoStL.com
Mail List & Archive Info.
Msg. of the day, "These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the
hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.