[GeoStL] Re: pda for caching

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 05:55:45 -0500

-
I have an older Toshiba pocket PC.  64 Meg memory with a 256 meg SD card.

I have had no problems with it and it works great. It runs GPX Sonar for viewing GPX files and making notes on the caches. I have Mapopolus for mapping and it runs that well also.

The Pocket PC comes with pocket versions of Word, Excell, Outlook, and possible other stuff that I have forgotten.

I like it and would get another.

Things that would be nice on a new one.... As always, the fastest processor available would be nice. Wireless access might be nice too. I was able to email RGS from a PDA in Best Buy once and that was pretty neat.

glenn

At 10:51 PM 8/14/2005, you wrote:
-
I do not have a PDA, but was toying with the idea of a Treo as a cell phone / PDA combination. Thought maybe if I couldn't justify a PDA alone, maybe the combo would be something that would push me over the edge. You get a discount if you get a cell plan, so that may save a few bucks on the deal. I still have not quite justified it in my mind.... especially since I don't have the funds right now. But it could be a factor in your shopping.

sprocketstl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

-
So tonight I severely cracked the screen on my 5 year-old Palm IIIe.
I'd been toying with the idea of replacing it, but had kept putting it off. Couldn't bring myself to spend the money. I guess I'm forced to now (I use the pda for more than just caching).

Does anyone care to share experiences with different pdas? Good points/bad points? I figure this is my opportunity to get more options on a new one (without spending too much) and maybe look at brands outside of Palm.

Any suggestions, input, etc. would be most helpful.

Thanks,
-Todd

---------------- Glenn, Missouri Geocachers Assoc http://www.MoGeo.com *THE* Forums for Mo & Ks. http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php?

Dave's Handy Hiding Hints http://www.ratisher.com/geocache_hiding.htm