[GeoStL] Re: $$$$$$$

  • From: "Susan Ring" <susanmring@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:43:39 -0500

-
I'm going to answer this on the list because I want to give the group the
information that I have.  I worked for a food pantry that achieved 501(c)3
status during my time there.  It took about a year of dedicated work and
piles of forms to fill out to accomplish this.  We did not employ an
accountant or a lawyer, but our treasurer did the work herself.  She was
really sharp with finances and record keeping.  We all  considered it a huge
headache.

The major advantage of 501 status is that donations to the group are tax
deductible.  It made sense to our food pantry to have this benefit because
we had many donors who contributed sizable amounts of money to us and it
encouraged them to continue, or to seek out new donors.  I'm talking
thousands of dollars.  At this time I just don't see that the problems
associated with going for the 501(c)3 are outweighed by the advantage.

Marcos, maybe you or someone else knows of other advantages that I'm unaware
of.   I only had this one experience with the process, probably there are
other things I don't know about it.  Although I have to add, remember, it's
dealing with the federal bureaucracy.

BTW, I'm in for a donation, too.  Gotta check the budget to figure the
amount.

Susan