[GeoStL] Re: missed logs?

  • From: GC-RGS <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:08:10 -0600

-
Roger,

I assume it's an internet problem. Either GC.com or geostl.com was probably
down during that time. Paul's routine looks at the "recent logs" at GC.com
just like we used to do. That page contains the latest 200 logs in the world
and is updated every 10 minutes. Once a log entry scrolls off, that
information is lost. The log is on the cache page, of course, but the entry
on "recent logs" is gone and replaced by newer ones.

If Paul's routine cannot access GC.com for the "recent logs" list because of
internet problems, site is down, or whatever, any logs that have scrolled
off are permanently lost for Paul's report. Once Paul has the data, it is
stored on geostl.com and up to the last 200 older logs (geostl area or SLAGA
member) can be recalled by changing the "Last n Logs" count.  200 logs may
be several days worth of logs for our area, but on GC.com it's only 10
minutes worth, and even then, on a good weekend, some logs may be missed if
there is a lot of logging done at the same time.

I hope this makes sense.

Rich