[GeoStL] Re: geocaching Digest V2 #22

  • From: Michael Chambers <michaelc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 00:11:04 -0600

-
Various members wrote:

I think it's up to the cache owner to say if you can log it. What cache was it? T.P.&M.

if I don't sign the log I don't log it as a find. ....... If the cache is in a
dangerous spot I do think the owner should  be contacted.
Elkie

Logging the find is up to you .... sounds like you legitamately found it to me. Please let the owner know of the situation, he might want to remove it. I would want to know about it before going there. Georgie

I'd like to know which cache it is so I can avoid going there.  I'd say go
ahead and log it just as you would do some of the other public caches like
those in the zoo.  It's definitly one I would not go to.
Barramus

IMHO, if you found it (and you did) you should log it. I'd rather have someone do what you did than to log it and show others where the cache is. If it is not a big deal to come back when you can sign it, you should. I see no problem with logging it if you actually spot the container.

Jim Bensman

........you could have people logging caches that they thought they saw when in
actuality it was never near. There is no way to ever know if they truly found
the cache. I think that that is part of the challenge. To remove this would
jeopardize the integrity of the game. ......I feel that you could return with
someone to finish the cache.
Mike

......you have asked a very good question that has concerned me. Recently there was a cache that I went to twice ( Jon's First Cache). I did not log it as a find, because I did not retrieve it and sign the log. I have also read posts that say they only found part 1 of a multi-cache, but chose to log it anyway, because they felt part 2 was missing? .......others have posted finds, but said they didn't have a pen to sign the log. I think each person has to set their own standards and live with it. I am only competing with myself.
John R -

The kind of people who would log a cache as you suggest will do it anyway and they would
not ask a group for advice. I don't log caches I don't sign or find physically but if the
situation arose where it was dangerous to log it as is suggested in the previous email
and the cache had been seen just not removed and logged in I would say "Yes go ahead
and log a find".
Dan (Thunder)

I have had to go back to several caches more than once to make it "right".
gln

I bet  it is that stinking Party Cove cache. I just know it is.
gln

Ya can't "reply" while on digest mode.
Barramus

Very excellent responses to my request for your advise. I thank you all for your thoughts. I'll try to respond briefly.
I did immediately email the cache owner with a copy of my note to the List, and with a complete detailed description of the exact cache location, so he (or she) could confirm that I did indeed find it. I also asked them to move it. And yes, I actually did see the cache itself. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have posed the question with you all. I too went back twice to Jon's First, and know that I found its hiding place, but I couldn't reach it either, so I didn't log it - and I won't. Integrity and a strong code of personal ethics are extremely important to me. If the owner contacts me and agrees that I did find it, I'll think about logging it. There's a good chance that I'll go back (mayby early on a cold morning - with my brother with me) to make another attempt to actually log it, but I'll feel much better about that if the owner moves it to a safer location. At first, I had no intention of naming the cache, but several people have asked which one it is - and have expressed a concern to avoid it, so I have decided to let you all know that it is indeed the Carondelet cache (Sorry Glen, it's not "that stinking Party Cove cache".). Oh! And yes, Barramus, you can "reply" while on digest mode. It just takes a lot of considerate editing to eliminate all the repetive BS.

Thanks again,
Leanman  (Mike Chambers)