[GeoStL] Re: gc.com maps

  • From: Bernie <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 21:38:50 -0500

-
   Google earth is a lot of fun to play with, but I'm not too proficient
withit. Glad you spotted the map options down below. I use it all the time.
Bernie

showme69 wrote: - I liked playing with google earth when we had DSL but it's
pointless to get on it now that I have pony express-speed dialup. I will
probably be going to wireless sometime this summer so I'll be able to use it
again then. troutboy98 used to love checking out places with google earth.
He's really been bummed since we had to go back to dialup. Gale -----
Original Message ----- From: "Mike Lusicic" <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[1] To:
<geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[2] Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2006 12:46 PM Subject:
[GeoStL] Re: gc.com maps - Just in case anyone has missed it, you can
download a free version of Google Earth, then go to gc.com. On your profile
page (click on your user ID in the upper right of the page after you log
on),on the right hand side is section called Google Mapping Features. You
candownload the file and it will set up an entry in "My Places" in Google
Earth. If you select that, it will show youthe caches as an overlay to the
map you are looking at. If you are zoomed out too far, it starts ignoring
some of the randomly so that it keeps the number down. Anyway, it is a
prettycool thing. Especially when you tilt the view so you can see the
terrain in 3D. Since I am not as proficient with topo maps as I would like,
this helps me. One of the negatives I have found is that the cache symbols
are too big and tend to clutter your view too much. The next is that it
seemsto have troubleat certain zoom levels as to where the cache is actually
located. I have seen a cache displayed on the wrong side of the Meramec
riveruntil you zoom in close enough. Bernie wrote: - Gale, wouldn't it be
easier to just click on Google maps on the cache page? Or am I missing
something? Bernie. showme69 wrote: - If you're talking about the google
maps,I found a way to still get them. Go to the Hide and Seek a Cache page
and plug in a zip code. When you get the results, click on the Map It button
in the upper right corner. Just above themap is a link labeled "View results
in Google Maps (beta)". Gale **************************************** For
List Info or To make _ANY_ changes, including unsubscribing from this list,
click -----> //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching[1[1[3]]] Missouri
Caches Scheduled to be Archived http://tinyurl.com/87cqw[2[2[4]]] --- Links