[GeoStL] Re: Where's all the chatter - GeoWoodstock

  • From: "Gale R. Nie" <showme69@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:21:35 -0500

Jim's comment about meeting cachers from Germany reminded me of something that
I'm not sure if I passed along already or not.  If I did, excuse the repeated
story.  Anyway, my best small world story I've ever experienced.
I had started making plans for a May '07 Colorado vacation way back in August
of last year and had the iternerary all worked out.  Well, during MOGA,
Happykraut told me I should ride the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge railroad,
so I made our reservations for the railroad sometime after MOGA.  When we got
to Silverton on the train, troutboy had to use the bathroom before we
disembarked from the train car. Kelly and I were waiting at the back of the car
and the only other person left on our car was a lady who walked by and saw my
GPS on the seat. She asked if it was was mine and I said yes.  She then asked
if I was geocaching and I, of course, said yes.  We had a short conversation
then and went our seperate ways for our time in Silverton.  She had an accent
and when Isaac and I found the Old Town Square cache, the previous finder that
day stated they were from Germany, so I assumed it was the lady from the train.
 When we got back on board, she was sitting 2 seats behind us.  I struck up a
conversation with her and gave her several of troutboy's wooden nickel
signature items, which say Union, MO on them, and I also had on my Union Fire
Dept. ladder truck shirt.  She asked if I lived in Union and I said yes.  She
was traveling with her parents and said they would be heading to Washington, MO
(6 miles from Union) later on their trip. Come to find out, she is from
Washington's German Sister City, Marbach, and knows several people that I know
in Washington including a lady I went to high school with.  And in the early
'90s, she did an internship at a business my wife and I worked at during that
time period. We didn't really remember meeting back then.  They were also going
to be visiting Mesa Verde the day after the train ride, just as we were, but we
didn't end up seeing them at the ruins.  She has emailed me once since our
vacation and said she'd be coming back to the states in 2009.  I invited her to
attend a SLAGA event if she's here when one of them occurs.

Gale