[GeoStL] Re: Was Walmart Now Flying Toads

-
sweet )

------ Original Message ------
Received: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:12:06 AM EST
From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Was Walmart Now Flying Toads

I agree totally ...there is room in this sport (obsession) for all kinds of
caches. If you have a thing about lamppost caches, guard rail caches or any
other kind of cache ...YOU DON"T HAVE TO DO IT!!!!....There are no caching
police out there twisting your arm to make you do any cache. One of the truly
great things about caching is that there is literally something for EVERYONE.
I personally will do any cache that comes my way and I enjoy them all. I enjoy
some caches MORE than other caches but I do any and all of them. This includes
lamp post, guard rail and yes even playground caches. I personally enjoy a
good multi or puzzle cache but due to the fact I live so far away from most of
them it is hard to drive 90 miles to complete a single cache or even 2 or 3
but I have done it as well. It is MY choice of how I want to spend my time and
I say if you don't like a type of cache then don't do it but give the rest of
us a chance to decide for ourselves. That is why we no
 longer have virtual or locationless caches because someone decided that they
weren't good for OUR sport and got rid of them and now NONE of us get to
decide if they are worth doing or not. There were some fantastic caches in
both categories but now there are no new ones to judge. All I can say is be
careful what you wish for you might get it and then there is no turning back.
   
  (Dan now jumps off his soapbox and goes back to reality)
   
  Just my 2 cents worth 
   
  Dan (Thunder_Monk)

thejones crew <shitsngrins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  { 
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }    While I would hate to face one
lightpost cache after another, I will say that I do enjoy finding some of
these. We all enjoy finding these 'secret' stashes all over the place. As a 
family we have enjoyed finding some right inthe middle of where hundreds of
people pace every day. To think that we are a part of this big secret makes it
even more fun. While driving home from Florida it was nice to make a quick pit
stop and be able to grab a cache in another state without too much hassle.
Maybe that one very easy cache will inspire somebody else to join the game and
along with it start some other more interesting caches. My dad has lots of
difficulty walking even short distances, but he has enjoyed hearing our
stories of caching. He has enjoyed pulling up to a cache with us and being
able to get a taste of the fun. I know if I broke my leg and couldn't get out
in
 the woods I would be thrilled to have some lightposts to visit. My point
is...let ye without a 1:1 in your finds cast the first stone, otherwise---let
those that want to do the lightposts do them. If ya don't like them then pass
them up. 
 
Arlene (JonesCrew)


    
---------------------------------
  From: dcrep_gc@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Was Walmart Now Flying Toads
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 17:38:45 -0600

      .ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P  {padding:0px;}  .ExternalClass
EC_body.hmmessage  {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}    I just wanted to
echo Stephen's comment.  As one of the finders of the Mummy in 2007 (Stephen
was another), I'd happily walk right by a lamp-post to get an interesting
cache such as that one.  Not all new cachers are interested in numbers... some
quite the opposite.

-Dan (dcrep)

> 
> Well said Mike. I am not into the numbers at all. I love puzzles like Mummy
and tricky caches like Need Gas. I relish a 2 or even one cache day if I had
to sweat or think to get it. It is all about what the individual is into. Keep
making your caches like you do, 32 finds is an indication of a cache that
requires some work. Kudos you!
> 
> Stephen
> 
> On Tuesday, January 08, 2008, at 03:03PM, "Michael Griffin"
<mike.griffin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I think we miss the point of the caches. It is not so some guy in a
> >wheelchair can't play, it is asking permission which is the basis of any
> >cache. It clearly states that permission MUST BE OBTAINED PRIOR to
> >placing any cache. If it is a hassle to get permission, we shouldn't
> >place one with the Oh Well attitude. We should do the homework and make
> >sure we obtain permission. 
> > 
> >However, I totally agree that SLAGA is not the enforcing agency on
> >caches. We are a social club and should not condemn or support any kind
> >of hides. Everything is personal preference. I don't like light poles
> >and guardrails, but I do them :-) I don't like McDonalds or Wal-Mart
> >caches no matter how they are placed, but I do them! :-) 
> > 
> >However, I don't like the fact that I could go to Jail because someone
> >was too lazy to ask permission before placing a cache. I recently, as
> >did HappyKraut, replaced all my permission forms for all caches at Busch
> >and Weldon Spring. During that process, it became very clear that all
> >the properties John Vogel manages do not have legal caches on them. He
> >knows this and has let us slide. How long before he decides enough is
> >enough and prohibits caching on all his managed lands. Permits are
> >helpful in the fact that it is a 2 way agreement. I would feel much
> >better doing a cache on private property where the owner has placed on
> >the cache page his permission from statement.
> > 
> >I will do caches that I don't necessary like because I too am a numbers
> >hound. I am NOT afraid to say I love numbers. Although I haven't logged
> >several of the caches I have done in the past 6 months, I like to watch
> >my numbers.
> > 
> >Ok, Last topic since this is about Geocaching and not food. Larry and
> >myself were talking about how the numbers have killed the muticaches and
> >puzzles. I use to make a puzzle cache run for 1 or 2 caches. Now, unless
> >I go alone, no one wants to do 1 or 2. Everyone wants to do 60 or 100 or
> >500 in a weekend. Only if someone has solved a puzzle down to the final
> >will someone do a difficult puzzle. 
> > 
> >Case and Point was the Mummy Cache. In 2 years, I had 32 finds. Here is
> >what is amazing - From Sept - Dec in 2005 I had 20 finders, in all of
> >2006 I had 6 finders and in 2007 until archived late October, I had 6
> >finders.
> > 
> >With the number of new cachers out there, most are getting their
> >training from the old timers that are teaching them it is all about
> >numbers. Stats, Light poles and Guardrails are the result of numbers.
> >Remember, I said I was a numbers hound, no hypocrisy, just observations.
> > 
> >Ok - I am really done. I am headed out here in Boston and going to grab
> >a few Guardrails and Light poles.
> >
> >Mike Griffin 
> >
> >
> >
> >________________________________
> >
> >From: geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >[mailto:geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of JimSGreene@xxxxxxx
> >Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 2:11 PM
> >To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Walmart light pole
> >
> >
> >In a message dated 1/8/2008 12:28:25 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> >junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> >
> > I think a good service SLAGA could provide is to have people who
> >can
> > tactfully contact cache placers who place problematic caches.
> >They could
> > work with them to fix the problem. I suspect that would be
> >better than some
> > of us less tactful people pointing out the problem in a cache
> >log.
> > 
> >
> >Jim,
> > I disagree with this statement, any problematic caches should be
> >reported to the local approver for them to handle. They are paid big
> >money to handle that sort of thing. 
> > As far as lamp post or easy caches, they serve a purpose too, they are
> >great for those with mobility issues, and people looking for some quick
> >finds. If placed according to guidelines, I don't have a problem with
> >them. They can be ok, and sometimes they can be a nice surprise when a
> >new trick shows up.
> > Let's not get into any sort of condemnation of anything, this sport has
> >lots of room for all types of hides, enjoy the game.
> > 
> >Strider
> >
> >
> >
> >________________________________
> >
> >Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape
> ><http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>
> >in the new year. 
> >
> 
> 
> ****************************************
> For List Info or To make _ANY_ changes, including unsubscribing from this
> list, click -----> http://www.freelists.org/list/geocaching 
> Missouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived http://tinyurl.com/87cqw

  
---------------------------------
  Put your friends on the big screen with Windows Vista® + Windows Live?.
Start now! 
  
---------------------------------
  Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista® + Windows Live?.
Start now! 

       
---------------------------------
Looking for last minute shopping deals?  Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.





 ****************************************
 For List Info or To make _ANY_ changes, including unsubscribing from this
 list, click -----> http://www.freelists.org/list/geocaching
 Missouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived  http://tinyurl.com/87cqw

Other related posts: