[GeoStL] Re: WOW event at Forest Park June 9th

  • From: Susan Ring <susanmring@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 23:27:33 -0500

178 first-time camping, that IS WOW! Are they camping in Forest Park? They sure have a lovely night for it, perfect camping weather.

Susan

On Jun 8, 2007, at 4:12 PM, GC-RGS wrote:

Good point. I'm sure WOW would love any publicity they can get. Out of 200 participants, 178 are camping tonight. I think that's amazing to have that many 1st time campers.
<x-tad-bigger>----- Original Message -----</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>From:</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>Jack Anderson</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>To:</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>Sent:</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> Friday, June 08, 2007 3:55 PM</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>Subject:</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> [GeoStL] Re: WOW event at Forest Park June 9th</x-tad-bigger>

Hey Rich,
Did you see the e-mail from "tnlnsl57" (Tim) about Ann Rubin from Channel 5.  How about letting him tell her about tomorrow to come down and film you giving your training speech and some actual film of people doing geocaching.  Would it be OK with the organizers of the event?  Good publicity for SLAGA and the event.
Jack

GC-RGS <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Steve B., Stephen, Nancy, Jim, and Jack;

OK, I think everything is finalized.

You will need to go to the registration tent and pick up your name tag and a packet of goodies. Tell them you are an additional geocaching instructor. Lunch will be furnished.

Again, parking is available across from the Visitors center in the 2 large lots. Classes have been adjusted down from what I was originally told, so session 1 and 3 have 10 each and session 2 has 15. We will need to restock the 3 caches between sessions and make sure they haven't walked away. Also we will need to stock our handout bags to give out when they return with their GPS.

The idea is to tell them how to get started in geocaching and what is necessary for them to continue caching after they leave. (I have copies of a cache page in FP, the main gc.com page with the zipcode of FP entered, and the resulting caches for that zipcode. We also have our "High Tech Treasure Hunt" brochures and business cards to give out.

See you tomorrow.

Rich
<x-tad-bigger>----- Original Message -----</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>From:</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>GC-RGS</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>To:</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>gc-Maillist</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>Sent:</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> Saturday, June 02, 2007 6:39 PM</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>Subject:</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger> [GeoStL] WOW event at Forest Park June 9th</x-tad-bigger>

Steve B., Stephen, and Nancy, and anyone else who can help next Saturday;

I have most of the details now for the event. I have a final meeting Friday afternoon, but none of this "should" change.

Barb Wilson (Mo. State Parks) and I will start setting up around 7AM Saturday. We will either be under the big tent or have a table with a 10 x 10' fly.

Parking will be available across the street from the Visitors Center (East of the History Museum).

The first class is from 8:30 to 10, then a break for 30 minutes with the second class from 10:30 to 12.
Lunch comes next from 12:00 to 12:45 and the last class is from 1:00 to 2:30.  I "assume" lunch is furnished but will know more after the Friday meeting.

The big tent and everything should be close to N38 38.680 & W90 16.990. This area is behind the visitors center near Lindell and De Baliviere.

Now the details:
Everyone needs to be there by 7:30-7:45. Each of the 3 sessions have 20 people signed up. That is the max and there will be no walkups. We have 22 Yellow Garmins on loan from MO. Dept of Conservation, and I've preloaded all of them with the WP's for the caches. There will be 3 (2 Tupperware and 1 ammo box) placed within 1000' of the event and in 3 different directions. That way we can break up into smaller groups and the other groups can't see other groups or the cache location. All are almost terrain 1 and diff. of 1-1.5. By getting there a little before the first session starts, we can go over how the yellow Garmins work since everyone will have their own identical GPS to use. All the caches will be stocked with give-aways so everyone can sign the log book and take something from each cache. By showing them how to make a WP before starting out, they can then use the GPS to go back to the table, TURN in their GPS, and we'll have a bag for everyone with some goodies.

That's the plan, anyway.

Rich