[GeoStL] Train ride to Jeff City on Feb.21st

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gc-freelist" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 19:51:44 -0600

-
We're just putting out feelers here to see if anyone is interested in riding
the train from the Kirkwood Station to Jefferson City for the Paparazzi & Pasta
Palooza!
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc1jrz7
The train leaves Kirkwood Sat. AM at 8:59 and arrives in Jeff City at 10:51 AM.
The return train leaves at 7:03 PM and arrives in Kirkwood at 8:58PM. There is
also a train leaving Jeff at 10:33 AM and arriving in Kirkwood at 10:51 AM if
anyone wants to stay over night. Sunday also has the 7:03 train too. They have
a snack counter on all the trains with, sandwiches, soda, coffee, etc.

Remember, these times may change due to a derailment, flood, cows on the
tracks, and freight trains (freight trains have the right of way).

Round trip fares are $34; $30.60 for AAA members, and $28.90 for Seniors (62
and over). I'm not sure if this includes tax. Everyone would be responsible for
their own tickets which can be purchased thru Amtrak at
http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

How we get from the train station to the event (3 miles) is still in
discussion. 1 option is to rent a car(s) or a 15 passenger van. This way we can
cache until the event starts at 5PM. Or we can keep the car/van for those that
want to stay overnight and can on Sunday until the morning or evening train
back to Kirkwood. Problem is just an Enterprise and Avis are near the train
station and Enterprise is closed on Sundays so we pay until Monday AM. Avis
closes at noon on Sunday so that may be a problem too.

We could make the trainride an event if there's enough interest.

Let me know if there's any interest in this.