[GeoStL] Re: Titus Hollow RE: Reaching milestone

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:53:07 -0600

-
When it is cold, being by the river can be extremely cold with the cold wind
off the river.  Titus Hollow should not be bad since the bluffs and trees
break the wind.

It's the river conditions here and up North that determine the quality of
the eagle watching.  When it is cold up North, there are more eagles here.
When the river is frozen, the eagles congregate around open water (dams and
power plants mostly).  When there is not ice, the eagles tend to spread out
more.  When we were counting them Saturday, they were spread out.  To find
most of them, you needed a spotting scope to search trees on the other side
of the river.  But there were several up close ones and I got several full
frame photos with my new camera.  At the Winfield Dam, I've seen over 200
eagles on some days and none on others.  Sometimes they will be all over the
place and covering the trees.

A good eagle watching caching route starting in Chesterfield, would be to
head for the Winfield Dam.  You can usually see Eagles in the parking lot
and then there is a trail to a viewing stand.  Then go and cross the river
and do my Eagle Cache GC17C5.  You can usually see eagles from the ferry
landing.  Then go do my Cave Springs cache, very neat area.  Then go to my
Wilson cache for a great view when many times you will see an eagle flying
above you (we saw one Saturday).  Then go do Titus Hollow.  After that you
could head for my Prairie Lake Cache.  Before you get to the cache there is
a parking lot on the right.  If you go out to the lake sometimes you can see
them.  If you keep on the road to the river, sometimes you will see them.
Saturday we only saw 9 here and they were all across the river and you
needed a spotting scope to see them.

You could also see some at Cache Hollow.  There is nothing at the Swan Lake
cache now, its all dried up but it is a 1/1.

I'd head for my Calhoun Point Confluence Cache which is at the confluence of
the IL and MS rivers.  You have to walk a while to it and it could be very
cold.  But many times you will see eagles there.  When you navigate to it,
you will go right by the Brussels Ferry.  Take that to cross the IL River.
That is one of the best places to see eagles up close.  They are usually in
the trees near both sides of the ferry crossing.  On the other side there is
an area to the left with a picnic table, many times they are in trees near
there.

After you cross the river, head towards Alton and go down our National
Scenic Byway.  You can normally see many eagles along the road.  If a car is
stopped, there is likely an eagle.  There are some caches along the road.
Head for the Alton bridge and the Eagle has landed cache.  Many times there
are 50 or more eagles there.  There are a bunch of trees in the middle that
can be loaded with eagles.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"