[GeoStL] Re: Ticks - Myths and Facts

  • From: Yvonne Von Der Ahe <yvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 16:50:29 -0700 (PDT)

-
Thank you for this valuable information.  I guess I just haven't given much
thought to ticks before, but will now.  Went caching today, yes, in the rain
and picked up some ticks on my clothing.  But, they were easy to spot thanks to
your advice.
  Ladybug STL
Mike Griffin <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So that some of the people new to caching and the outdoors understand the
reality behind ticks, I have put together a primer to help you out. There is a
great article in Backpacker magazine that covers ticks and how to avoid them.
It is mainly centered around Lyme disease but has some useful info. Lyme
disease is rare in this area. In the past 10 years, 5 cases have been reported
in this area of Missouri. Some could have been from travel outside the area.
As an amateur arachnologist, I have studied ticks and spiders for many years
and I still consider them the greatest gift to the natural world.
When it comes to Lyme disease, there are a couple of things you should know.

Missouri Department of Conservation will tell you that there have been no
documented cases of Lyme Disease. I said there have been reported cases but,
for them to document it as Missouri Lyme, it must have originated in Missouri.
They have no proof of this. This should be enough to convince you that ticks
are not deadly. However, they do carry other diseases that can be treated with
antibiotics.

The sure sign of early Lyme is the red ring that forms around the bite and
slowly moves outward. Within a couple of days, it becomes noticeable. At this
early stage, it is easy to detect and treat. Don't take a chance if you see the
red ring expanding.

When a tick buries its head into your skin, it forms a cement bond that keeps
it in place while it excretes a chemical that breaks down tissue and allows
them to absorb the blood and fluids they desire. There really isn't any
documented length of time a tick can wait for a host. Some ticks will have
several hosts as they morph from a nymph to an adult and others will have one
host. Ticks have been known to live over 3 years, even through the dormant
Winter, without ever attaching to a host.

A quick overview of the cycle of a tick is as follows...

Female lays eggs, Eggs become Larvae, Larvae attaches to birds or small
mammals, Tick becomes a nymph, Nymph attaches to a host, Tick feeds until it
becomes an adult, adult males detach and look for females usually on the host,
male breeds and then drops and dies, female continues to feed, eventually
dropping off and laying eggs. In some cases, the female will lay eggs on the
host.

Identification
In Missouri, we have all 3 species of ticks.
1) Deer Tick - often called seed ticks and are very small. Females are bigger
and often are 2 tone brown with the head and back being darker than the legs.
2) Lone Star Tick - Most common in Missouri. Females have a white dot on their
back. This is where they get their name. A big misconception is the males have
a spot too. This is not true. Males are the most common tick and often called a
dog tick or brown tick. These ticks are more round than oval. Almost all ticks
here in Missouri are Lone Stars.
3) The American Dog Tick - These are the largest ticks and they are more oval
than the other ticks. The male and female are almost the same size. They are
brown with darker brown spots on their backs. The adults are usually the ones
that feed on us and dogs.

Lone Star and Deer Ticks carry Lyme. Dog ticks do not but they can carry other
diseases.

Prevention.
Where Light Clothes when in the field. I can't stress this enough. People who
head out into a field with dark clothes are going to get skin buried ticks.
Light clothes has them show up easier and you can pick them off.

Tuck your pants into your socks and tape them with some duct tape if possible.
This keeps them on the outside. Also wear shirts tucked in and make sure they
are light colored as well. Some people talk about ticks dropping from trees
overhead. While this may be possible, it is highly unlikely. These critters are
ground dwellers that usually get no higher that a weed. Birds love to eat ticks
so climbing a tree would be like marching into the oven.

Spray your clothes with Permethrin. You can buy Cutter's and other brands of
this but I use Equate brand Bedding Spray from Wal-Mart. Same stuff only a buck
cheaper. Spray clothes until moist and allow them to dry completely. Spray
shoes, socks, pants, shirt, undies, etc... It will last a couple of washings
and a few rainy days.

Carry a spare set of shoes, socks and pants in the vehicle. If you can, change
clothes and place your clothes into a plastic bag and put them in the trunk.
When you get home, pop them in the dryer on high for 10 minutes. This will
ensure all hitchhikers are incinerated.

Do a tick check often. When you get home, have your significant other check for
all sizes of ticks. Remember, some may be smaller then a pinhead. If you do not
have someone that can check, use a mirror.

Obviously, avoiding high grass and marshy fields would be the way to go...

Tick Removal
There are several ways to remove a tick but the underlying principle is the
same. Grasp as close to the head as possible and pull it gently upwards and
outward until it comes out. Try and get the whole thing and do not squeeze the
body when pulling. Tweezers work best. You can also put a straw over the tick
body and slip a thread with an overhand knot down the straw. Tighten the knot
under the straw until it is tight and then pull the tick out. I have never done
this but I hear it keeps the tick from regurgitating and helps heal the wound
quicker. Do not use polish, a match, or any other nonsense to remove the tick.
Wash the area with soapy water or alcohol and make sure you kill the tick. I
flush em. Do not squeeze them! Wash your hands if you removed them barehanded.

I was out placing a cache today and was wearing my favorite white pants. I had
close to 150 ticks that I flicked off my pants and I really didn't bushwhack
that much. I had them from tiny to full adults. Just keep in mind that by late
summer or early fall, they are usually gone. Another misconception is that we
have to have a frost or freeze before they are gone. Not true, they go dormant
in the fall regardless of temperature. However, the later the heat lasts,
especially with rain, the longer the tick season.

Don't let your summer caching fun get spoiled by these little buggers.. Just
take the proper steps and have fun...

Now Chiggers! Well, that's a different story!

Mike

Tired of Spam??
Here's your solution..
See: http://www.spamarrest.com/affl?4001050