[GeoStL] Re: St.Charles

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 17:13:06 -0500

Permit information for St. Charles city is as follows:

All city parks need a permit. The fee is $10.00 for the first year and 1.00 per
month. The application fee is 35.00 but cannot be paid at the city parks
department. It must be paid at the city auxillary building. After the
application fee has been paid, you must then take your receipt to the City
parks department building and then pay the annual fee of 10.00. Then after you
have paid this fee, you must take your cache to the city morgue where they will
document the contents and log the cache. They are the only ones with a digital
camera. After they have documented it, you have to go back to the city parks
building and get an approval slip. This must be notorized and a fee of 8.00
will apply. The city park ranger squad will then shake the cache to record how
it sounds. If it sounds like ticking or broken glass, they will assess a fine
of no more than 50.00. Then you must document everything with the county clerks
office and have the cache transported via city ambulance service. This is a
75.00 fee. Once it arrives at the park, you will be met by the city building
inspector to make sure your cache is in code. Since you are placing a structure
within city property, it must meet all requirements. Failure to meet
requirements could result in a huge fine. The cache must have 37 square inches
of egress area and cannot be filled with anything other than paper and pen.
Leaving items is prohibited! Once it is officially in place, you must photocopy
all paperwork and receipts and send them to the city parks department where
they will create a file. Each month you will receive a bill in the mail.
Failure to pay will result in a 100.00 fine and could lead to confiscation of
your cache.

Of course you can bypass all of this and send a check for 30.00 made out to
Mike Griffin. I know people! :-)

I have talked with them and they have no policy. However, it wouldn't hurt to
ask Larry Henderson. Tell him that you know me. He is a scouter. His number is
636-949-3372.

Mike