[GeoStL] Re: Spent night in County Jail

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:29:02 -0500

- Many years ago, I heard a bird strike story on the aviation forum. As most pilots know, military pilots can tend to be a bit arrogant. Especially fighter pilots. But A-6 intruder pilots have a special problem. It seems that the design of the plane makes him have a passenger who sits next to him called a bombardier / navigator (BN). Many of them feel this was an insult by the airplane designer implying that he could not handle all this himself, but because the Navy says he has to take the guy along or he doesn't fly, they agree to it rather reluctantly. And the pilot tends to let his BN know that he is just being tolerated in HIS airplane.

Anyway, on one training flight, there was a Canada goose that hit the canopy right in front of the BN. It came through and hit the BN in his visor and there was a bloody mess. The BN was OK, but definitely hurting. They got the aircraft back down, and the BN was taken to the infirmary, and the pilot went to debriefing. During the debriefing, there were several standard questions they ask. In the A6, there is a first aid kit. They asked the pilot if he considered using the first aid kit. He replied: "Naw. That bird was dead."

Eric East wrote:
Boo hiss! LOL

Eric