[GeoStL] Re: Sorta NGR-Bread Co. Wi-Fi

  • From: Timothy Hunt <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:37:54 -0500

-
> Has anyone tried using The Bread Co. (Panera) wireless connection with
> their laptop? If so, can you send email?
>
> I can connect, surf, get email from my POP servers, but cannot send
> email if pointing to my SBC SMTP mail server as my default. This makes
> sense because of all the spam that could be sent that way. Is there a
> special SMTP server we should point to when using Panera Wi-Fi or is it
> we just can't send email with our mail client. I guess using a hotmail
> acct. with the browser is the only way around the problem?
>
> Rich

Rich,

Most ISPs require you to have an IP address from their own pool in order
to send mail using their SMTP mail server, for exactly the reason you
suggested.  Some ISPs allow you to send SMTP mail if you've just logged
on to the POP server, as that has authenticated you. However, it would seem
from what you've said that you tried to send mail after you picked your mail
up, so it would appear that SBC don't offer that service.  In which case
you're out of luck.  Hotmail/yahoo mail would seem to be your best bet.

Timothy
Subject field