[GeoStL] Publicity Idea for Geocaching

  • From: Joe Taylor <rockey_f_squirrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 06:25:59 -0700 (PDT)

OK this Idea hit me when I was checking up on one of my caches - To a Sunken
City.  Maybe the idea will hit you as quick as it did me, before you're done
reading this.

As I was sitting out at my truck checking to see if I had it waypointed (i know
where it is even without it - but always testing my accuracy), I heard a ton of
motorcycles driving by.

After I was done checking my cache I went to see what was up, and they were
having a Poker Run to fund childhood diseases.  Poker runs from what I
understand - maybe the guy on the motorcycle back at the CITO event, I am sorry
I am not good with names - might know what I am talking about,

But they pay like $20 a piece to participate in these Poker Runs, and that
money raised gopes to help research ways to fight these diseases.

My Idea is that Geocaching could hold such events.  At MOGA they had a
registration fee, and stuff like that.  The organization could hole like Mini
versions of Moga at different times, where a state park would allow it.

And GC could create a new Icon to show that you supported a Fund Raising
Caching Event.  For example SLAGA could put on an area Geocachign fund rasing
event with multiple caches just like at moga, and those who want to participate
would do liek a $10 entry fee - Just like Motorcycle Riders do to ride with
each other, even though they can ride for free, there is a sense of pride when
you are doing it as a group and for a good cause.

ANyone think GC might consider this (at least adding a new Icon)?  Tell me what
you all think!!

http://mail.yahoo.com