[GeoStL] Re: Product: GMRS - 10Mile; 3Watt; 'Think Speak'

  • From: Sara Gomer <outdoorlady79@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 07:26:10 -0700 (PDT)

Eric is exactly right here, line of sight is key.  Outdoorman63 and myelf
usually use more powerful radios (made by yaesu, don't remember the model
numbers) that get a little better range but that is only because we already had
them for other reasons so we just looked up the frs/gmrs channels and squelch
codes and programmed them in.

If the radio Glen was referring to is programable for the frequency range
needed then there is no reason they couldn't be used for geocaching.   But with
that being said it does no good if one person can transmit 5 miles and the
other person only 2 miles (because they have different radios) then you still
only have a 2 mile radius (which we know is less than 2 miles because of the
line of sight issues).

OL79

Eric & Dayna East <believer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-
It's all line of sight. Over water they will reach 5 miles, but other than
that, FORGET it. :-)

Eric