[GeoStL] Re: PDA suggestions

  • From: "Shirley Roberts" <maylith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:20:58 -0600

-
If you want a color screen palm device, I would recommend a Palm IIIC.  It
has 8MB of memory, which is plenty of room for a few thousand cache's along
with a program like Cachemate.  On Ebay used models seem to go in the $40
range plus shipping.  Here is one that ends in 4 hours currently at $20

http://cgi.ebay.com/Palm-IIIC-Color-PDA-plus-2-Cradles_W0QQitemZ5838974595QQ
categoryZ38331QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Including shipping, I would not pay more than $45-$50 for a Palm III

If you don't need color, pricing is cheaper.

Here is a 2MB model, which defiantly has room for Cachemate and 500+
cache's.  It's on ebay now with a buy it now price of $22 plus shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Palm-III-PDA-Handheld-Cradle-Modem-Case-Keyboad-Adapter_
W0QQitemZ5839762511QQcategoryZ38331QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cachemate is software that will reside on your palm PDA...it costs $7 to
register I believe.

GSAK goes on your PC and is free to use (but has nag screens after 21 days),
it costs $20 to register.  You use it to download cache info from
geocahing.com, and you can manipulate it and output it to cachemate.

I'd be happy to help in any way you need, this stuff isn't too difficult to
understand....trust me!.

I would suggest you do some research before you buy a Palm unit to be sure
you get what you want.  You may find there are some other things you could
do with your PDA....if you want to talk about it, let me know in email.

-maylith

-
Thanks for the warning. That's exactly why I came to those in the know to
ask for suggestions.  I had mentioned the $20 simply because I was quoting
maylith's post.  Not that I was hoping to get one for that.
Gale

Subject field