[GeoStL] Re: Our boy BruceS/Cache Expiration

  • From: "Jen Guyer" <nyisutter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:30:03 -0500

These are some valid points. But I like Paul's one year guideline rather
than 90 days. For active cachers three months is plenty of time to hit all
the caches in the area. But for those of us who have to take things slower
due to different circumstances, it could be frustrating to constantly be
missing out on caches because they are archived so soon.

And what about those harder to reach caches that only get visited a couple
times a year. Do they really need to be archived? If left longer people will
probably get to them eventually. If it is that out of the way, that it takes
people some time to get to, archiving it and hiding another cache a couple
hundred feet away seems pointless.

Urban caches that are easily accessible, maybe they should have some sort of
time limit. I don't think it should be a hard and fast rule though. Maybe if
a cache seems to have reached its limit, has been there awhile and most of
the cachers in the area have logged it and logs have ceased, ok. But if a
cache is continually getting found by new people, why archive it?

They do have a very valid point on that it is very easy to change what was a
good cache to one that would never be approved. Does Jeremy monitor edited
cache pages at all? I think about that everytime I get one approved and then
think of one more thing I want to add to the page, or a little change I want
to make. The changes I make are benign, certainly nothing to be alarmed
about. But I could just as easily change the entire page, including the
coords if I wanted to, after it has been approved.

Just some thoughts.
Jen

commit random acts of literacy:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/referral/nyisutter

St. Louis BookCrossing Chapter
http://www.angelfire.com/mo3/stlouisbookcrossers/Main.html

Our NEW WebPage!   WWW.GeoStL.com
Mail List & Archive Info.
Msg. of the day, "These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the
hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.