[GeoStL] OOps

  • From: Glenn <Glenn.GeocachingAdmin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "St. Louis Area Geocachers" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:08:54 -0600

-
http://tinyurl.com/95m2l

This seems to be happening more and more as geocaching gets more and
more popular.

Cacher is arrested while looking for a cache.

WHERE?? The cache was placed at the edge of a parking lot at a shopping
area.  Sound familiar?  Parking lot caches are everywhere. Caches on
restaurant porches are everywhere (except around here).  Lots of folks
and many other reviewers view these "openly accessible areas"  as public
property and freely accessible to anyone for anything.  I have always
felt that parking lots and restaurant porches were private property made
available to the public for use as originally intended. Such as, parking
for the mall or for entering/exiting the restaurants.

Why is getting permission important? Ask the arrested fella and he might
be able to fill us in on a few of the finer points.

Also remember , when caching, the cache seeker assumes all
responsibility for finding a cache.

Would having permission helped in this case? Not sure but if there was a
statement like  "**permission obtained from mall management to place
this cache" on the cache page, it might have helped the guy being
stopped explain things to the officials.

This almost reminds me of the nearly published headlines, "Two
Geocachers shot by angry landowner while looking for cache on the Katy
trail"  Fortunately  we escaped unshot. :-)

glenn