[GeoStL] No Virtual caches?

  • From: Glenn Nash <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:04:50 -0600

-
Wake up Dan. There is whole new site (not so new as it has been around quite a while now) JUST for VIRTUAL caches and LOCATIONLESS caches exclusively. You do a disservice to everyone when you say that there are no virtual or locationless places highlighted anymore.

http://www.waymarking.com/

Presently there are 82460 waymarks worldwide, listed in 656 user-created categories.

WOW look at this neat old Victorian house. http://tinyurl.com/2q8fc4

The reason virtual and locationless caches were moved to the waymarking site is that Groundspeak realized a long time ago that there was a big interest in these neat locations and the old geocaching site and review system was not for dealing with these locations well. The waymarking site was designed to get these location listed and highlighted in some sort of organized fashion and remove them from the control of groundspeak personal. The categories are set up by the users and the waymarks are reviewed and listed by waymark users, not groundspeak personal or cache reviewers.

There are waymarking categories that should satisfy about every ones interest. If there isn't, you can a new category. I have 2 categories that interest me, old Springhouses (if anyone knows of any, please submit it) and statues for real live living people. Stan the man has a few statues and many other are there.

Worth a look if you really are interested in neat locations of all sorts.

Yes, be careful what you wish for. Sometimes things will change and get better.

Dan Henke wrote:
snip...

 That is why we no longer have virtual or
locationless caches because someone decided that they weren't good for OUR sport and got rid of them and now NONE of us get to decide if they are worth doing or not. There were some fantastic caches in both categories but now there are no new ones to judge.