[GeoStL] Re: Nightime Caches? Or Caches that can be done early morning or late in the evening.

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:55:54 -0500

For those that are relatively new to caching (15 months or so) may not have
heard about the infamous "OzGuff incident" at Best Friend Cache in Queeny Park
on Dec. 9th, 2003. It was raining and about 35 degrees that night. Here is the
log for the cache:

December 9, 2003 by OzGuff (1663 found)
11:25pm The important thing is that I eventually found the cache. The rest is
just gravy...
I am in town for the week helping to train newer employees. I arrived at the
hotel (Westport Plaza) at around 8:30pm. The weather outside was frighful, but
I decided to take a cab to the Seibert Cave cache, do a few in that area, walk
to Queeny Park to find the 4 there, and then call a cab to take me back to the
hotel. Everything was going well--I found Seibert Cave, All Wound Up and
Tatooine. (I struck out on Jeffrey's First.) As I strolled from the Tatooine
area towards the Best Friend Cache area a car drove up behind me and flashing
lights started flashing. Here is a rough approximation of the ensuing
conversation:

"Stop. What are you doing?"
"I am just walking through the park."
"Do you usually walk through parks at night in the rain?"
"Well, no. I won't get lost; I have a GPSr. I am visiting from NC." (I actually
showed him the GPSr, like that made it all right.)
"Where are you going? Where did you come from?"
"I took a cab from my hotel in Maryland Heights to Manchester and 141 (or is it
140) and have walked here from there. I was planning on walking through a few
more parks before heading back to the hotel."
"You are walking all the way back to your hotel?"
"I was going to call a cab. This looks weirder than it is. I have
identification."
Silence.
"OK--let me see your ID. Stand in front of the car."
I handed over my ID and he went into his car. After 5 minutes he emerged and
returned my ID.
"You need to exit the park as soon as possible. If you are going to call a cab
the entrance you came in from (Weidman Street) is the best option. You should
be able to find a business still open."
"OK--I will head out now."
He looked at me intently and then asked, "Are you geocaching?"
I sheepishly said, "Maybe."
"Geocaching isn't illegal in this park; I know about the caches in this park.
What *is* illegal is being in this park at this time--that is called
trespassing."
"How do you know about geocaching?"
"I have friends and coworkers that geocache."
"Then you know that it can be pretty obsessive."
"Yes."
"Do you think I could exit the park through the Mason Drive exit?"
"Are you going to try to find the cache over there by the dog museum?"
I sheepishly answered, "Maybe."
After a moments thought he said, "Well, don't tarry."
I shook his hand, thanked him, and headed off in the rain to find the cache.

Great location for a cache! TNLNSL TFTC! This story will be told and retold!
Geocaching is great!!

P.S. I actually thought about trying to find the Bouncing Around Queeny and
Pirates' Treasures caches, but figured getting caught a second time would be a
bad thing

Fortunately the ranger on duty and the ranger doing dispatch had both been to
the GPS classes we had for the county rangers and maintenance workers so they
were familiar with geocaching.

This is why we don't have many caches available to hunt at night,

Rich