[GeoStL] Re: NGR:Old people can't hear this

  • From: "Jon Mertz" <jemertz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 07:20:23 -0500

Somebody at work found this about a year ago and wondered what was so
special about it (he couldn't hear it) and yet every time he played it,
there would be a few people around his desk who would immediately complain
very vocally (I was one of them; it's painful!) He put on his headphones and
cranked it up and finally heard it. His comment after that was "I understand
now. I'm never doing that to people again." and he kept his word.

Back in the late '90s I had a WinAmp plugin which would let you create any
tone by entering a URL of the form tone://10000 (for a 10 KHz tone.) I tried
it in various increments and discovered that over 20,000 Hz (normally
considered the highest humans can hear) I could still hear tones loud and
clear. After a certain point, though, they started sounding lower and wavy.
Speakers are only designed to handle 20 KHz tones, and apparently beyond
that started going into some sort of weird resonance which made it sound
lower. I never found a tone which the speaker could produce and I could not
hear.

I can hear a TV on not only from within the room, but from nearby rooms as
well. I can also hear alarm systems in some retail stores.

-Jon