[GeoStL] Re: NGR- saving trees

  • From: "Mike Bollinger" <lazylightning7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:06:28 -0600

-
Hi Jen,

You might check on local ordinances, building codes, etc... MDC is too
far removed jurisdictionally from most municipalities to do much.  I'm
not sure about the area to which you refer, but I know in Columbia,
there is a tree ordinance that requires certain trees be left alone,
trees that can be removed must be replaced by new trees planted in
nearby areas.  Check to see if the municipality is a "Tree City USA".
If it is, there must be certain guidelines passed as ordinance
protecting trees.  See if the jurisdiction has an urban forester or has
a land development plan.  Most of these kinds of thing must go before
the local Planning and Zoning Commission, this is a good time for
concerned citizens to speak.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a real hard core greenie, but I do think
that nice big trees should be left or replaced.  I've seen too many
subdivisions start with every tree bulldozed and burned.