[GeoStL] Re: NGR - Funny,shocking video

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 00:51:50 -0500

-
J.A. Terranson wrote:
-

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Eric East wrote:

Because porn is filth & I don't want it in my house & i'm going to do
whatever it takes to keep it there. If you have a problem with that, then
it's just that, YOUR PROBLEM!
I will discuss this no further!

Interesting reaction.  I suppose I understand now.  Pity too.
Why is it a pity? Because he doesn't wish to compromise his morals?

Why?  You don't think you can decide for yourself what's appropriate?  You
are effectively delegating your personal freedom to the choices and
foibles (not to mention biases) of someone you don't even know.

I believe that he is not delegating his freedom to anyone. He has made his choice and is acting on that choice because he is free to do so. It seems that you want him to back what you believe and act the way you think he should. That is not freedom.

Not wanting to debate his position. He is free to do so. You see that as a pity. Again, it seems you are less concerned with his freedom than you are about making him conform to your whims. How is that freedom?

I must say you are confusing me. You seem to be self contradicting. On the one had you seem to be a proponent of freedom, yet on the other, you seem to pity those who exercise it.

One other thought comes to mind. I may like to make my own choices about what comes up on my screen, and feel qualified to judge, in most cases what I am going to find if I click on a link. But I also have an 11 year old son, and I don't feel he may be able to perceive things as astutely as I do, and I would rather err on the side of caution. So if I installed something that blocked sites, I would be all for them blocking a mixed site such as the one described. I reserve the FREEDOM to raise my child the way I see fit, thank you very much. And if the other person has such a filter for a similar reason, and if they also have children who read posts on this forum, and those post would contain links to potential porn, then I don't see a problem with raising a question concerning the material posted. I believe that there are prohibitions against such things, and we are entitled, nay we have a duty, to aid in supporting the forum policies.

Well, it is obviously past my bed time since I have gotten so long winded. But if you would care to discuss this further off line, feel FREE to drop me a line. I find the views of others amusing at times.
**************************************** Our WebPage! Http://WWW.GeoStL.com Mail List Info. //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching Mail List FAQ's: //www.freelists.org/help/questions.html **************************************** To unsubscribe from this list: send an email to geocaching-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field