[GeoStL] NCR-Plant damage

  • From: "Bernie" <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 05:24:28 -0500

-
In the aftermath of the recent record-breaking cold spell, gardeners must be
patient with their damaged plants, especially our trees and shrubs. The
freeze puts a damper on what had turned out to be an early, but beautiful
spring.
At this time it appears the worst injury is limited to open flowers, new
buds, and new foliage. Spent flowers will be shed and most of the damaged
leaves will continue to deteriorate in the days ahead, eventually drying up
and falling off. Expect the appearance of your garden to decline
aesthetically for a period of weeks before fresh, new growth returns. It may
take until mid-summer before your garden looks "normal" again.

Perennials with damaged leaves and stems can be cut back to the ground and
will respond with rapid new growth. However, resist the temptation to prune
frosted trees and shrubs. Healthy well-established plants will produce new
growth. How quickly this occurs will depend on individual species, location
in the landscape, and the severity of the damage sustained.

Resist the temptation to fertilize heavily. With the loss of flower buds,
all of the trees energy will be channeled into vigorous vegetative regrowth.
Fertilizer could actually produce excesses of growth that will have to
pruned at a later date, creating higher maintenance in the long term.

Water cautiously. Avoid soggy conditions which can do more harm than good,
but do irrigate during long dry spells. Reducing water stress may be the
single best thing you can do to help your plants recover this summer.

Overall, consider this untimely freeze only a temporary setback. Given time
and patience, our gardens will recover. Since every dark cloud always has a
silver lining, on the plus side we probably won't have to worry about raking
up any Sweetgum balls this autumn.

Chip Tynan
Missouri Botanical Garden "Answer Man"
William T. Kemper Center for Home Gardening