[GeoStL] Re: NCR-Gas prices IMHO

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:34:21 -0500

-
Actually, the best plan is to use technology to use less.  Making cars much
more fuel efficient should be a place to start.  There is lots of technology
out there already like hybrids that can make the cars much more fuel
efficient.  The problem is the car manufacturers are not using the
technology like they should and the politicians will not raise CAFE
standards (average fuel mileage for the vehicles they manufacture). Perhaps
these high gas prices will finally force the manufacturers to make their
vehicles get better gas mileage.

This does not get into the problems of the pollution that is produced and
the people that get sick or die from the pollution.  Nor does it deal with
global warming and other problems.

The last I heard is it took more than a gallon of gas to produce a gallon of
ethanol.  The petrochemicals that are applied to the crops and all the gas
to farm and transport the corn is more than the gas produced.  Perhaps the
technology has improved.

Even if they get to the point of producing more than it takes to manufacture
it and reduces the amount of pollution, we still need to use less.

So if you do not like paying all this money to fill up, tell the car
manufacturers and politicians you want vehicles that get much better gas
mileage.  Instead of solving the problems with American know how (i.e.,
making cars more fuel efficient), we have lots of politicians who just want
to drill the Artic National Wildlife Refuge that MAY possibly have a 6 month
gas supply.  The earliest a single drop would come from our greatest
wildlife refuge would be 10 years and we will be in big trouble if we don't
have the problem solved by then.

The next time you buy a vehicle, support the manufacture that makes the most
fuel efficient model and let the other manufactures know why.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Subject field