[GeoStL] Re: Mina Sauk....Redux

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 20:58:33 -0600

-
thoses caches there are very nice group caches. wildcat mtn is about my most favorite cache ever.

At 08:17 PM 2/6/2004, BottomFeeder wrote:

-
H. H'billy,

I think you just might have taken the only pics of the frozen Mina Sauk
Falls that are likely to be seen this year. I was so intrigued by your pics,
I thought I'd try the adventure for myself today. An adventure that can only
be entitled 'Dumb City Boy'.

Loaded a bunch of Ironton area caches into GPXSonar, charged up the GPS,
loaded TaumSauk area maps into the pda (with caches as 'Markers'), checked
out the weather forecast, packed up the camera gear, and headed south from
STL.

The drive all the way down to and thru Ironton was fine. Turned on to CC and
even it was clear. Proceeded up CC to the fork where you bear right to head
into TS Mtn S.P. CC is cleared if you stay on it and bear left at the fork
and head up by the Lookout Tower. The road into the park looks like it
hasn't seen a plow since winter started. And it looks like they got 4-5" of
snow Wed nite and Thur when we were only getting an inch here in STL. But it
looks like several sets of tire tracks are heading up the road into the
park, so how bad can it be? (Uh-oh...does ya see what's coming? :) )

I stop at the fork and look down the road into the park.......and look
again...and again. Do I...or don't I? Decision time. Two voices in my head
telling me 2 different things.......
- Voice #1, the calm sensible one telling me..."Don't do it. You'll be
s-o-r-r-y!"
- Voice #2, the macho 'Dumb City Boy' one telling me..."Oh c'mon...ya just
drove a hundred miles to get here. Ya gonna let a little snow stop ya now?
You know you won't get another shot at this."

Keeping in mind that I'm not driving an SUV.....am in a sporty little front
wheel drive thing, guess which one of the two voices won out? You got
it....'DCB'. I turn down the road into the park.....mistake #1. But the
going isn't *too* bad as long as I keep moving, if somewhat slowly. As I
approach the sign announcing entrance into the park, I see a fairly steep
hill (given the conditions) ahead of me and get cold feet (figuratively
speaking, of course :) ). And stop right in front of the sign.

Again faced with 2 choices...try and continue up the hill til I can find a
'safe' area to turn around. "But what if I can't get up the hill and start
sliding back down? Who knows what I'll slide back down into." Not a very
appealing choice.

But don't worry, there's a worse choice. And I'm in full DCB mode now, and
choose to try and turn around right where I'm at. Mistake #2! Though the
road is *mostly* flat where I'm sitting, and the shoulder has only a fairly
gentle slope to it, there's still the matter of 4-5" of snow sitting on top
of the pre-existing ice. Needless to say, the end result is not pretty...I
wind up with my front bumper almost kissing the 'Welcome to TS Mtn S.P.'
sign. And though I come close to getting out of the jam on my own, 'close is
no cigar'...as the saying goes.

Anyway, to make a short story long.....I finally hike back up to CC, and
down it quite a way til I'm able to flag down one of the locals, and with
his help and a phone call to the local towing service, eventually I get out.

So, as I sit here now all warm and toasty, I appreciate your pics even more.
Outstanding job of getting them!

I don't know how many of the list members have done the caches in this area,
but there's certainly enough in the vicinity to make a good group
cache........when it's warmer and drier. :)

-= Russ =- (aka BottomFeeder, aka Dirty Bartholomew Vane, and now....aka 'Dumb City Boy')