[GeoStL] Re: Meramec flooding

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:51:43 -0500

-
Jason,

Yes, we have talked with them and it's a done deal. They only have 2 requirements for us; no ammo boxes and no PVC containers. Otherwise we are free to basically do whatever we want in their parks. No permits are required, no time limits, etc. As far as metal containers, tool boxes or any other type or shape is allowed, just not the ammo boxes. The county park rangers work directly with us and know lots of us, so we have a good relationship in the parks and they are aware of caches that are hidden. So no worry to try to hide the fact you are caching.

Several years ago a maintenance worker discovered a large PVC container that was part of a multi cache hidden in some undergrowth. Following procedures, a 300 foot area was closed off and reported it to the rangers. As it was, she recognized the container as a cache (she caches herself) and said everything was safe and not worry. That is what prompted the banning of PVC pipes in the county parks. At that time several PVC bombs had been detonated in trash cans and rest rooms.

Again, the ammo box and PVC rules only apply to the St. Louis County parks. Local city parks, state parks, Conservation areas, etc all have their own set of rules, which in some cases are "no rules".

Rich (RGS)
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason Murray" <jemurray@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Cindy Spurr
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:16:28 -0700 (PDT)

That explains the lack of ammo cans out here.  Boy thought ya'll had
something against them. They are the container of choice in VA followed by a good lock-n-lock. As long as the ammo can has no military markings on it,
they can be used.

Cindy

Want to learn about geocaching in Hampton Roads? Visit
http://www.vageocachers.org
Want to learn about geocaching in St. Louis? Visit
http://www.geostl.com/SLAGAPostNuke/index.php

 From: "Jason Murray"
 To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:21:01 -0500

>-
>When I placed caches in areas that had the potential to
>flood. I would make containers that would withstand the
>floods. The container of choice was an ammo can with a
>good seal. The container was then chained to a solid
>object. If you are going to disable a cache, this would be
>a good opportunity to consider changing your containers to
>something that makes more sense for this area. For all the
>people disabling caches I am curious to hear what type of
>container you are using.
>
>I still see too many people placing tupperware type
>containers.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>--
>Jason E. Murray
>jemurray@xxxxxxxxx
> http://www.zweck.net/
>
>On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 3:52 PM, GC-RGS
>>wrote:
>>
>> For anyone with caches along the Meramec river, such as
>> Marshall road in Kirkwood and Valley Park, Al Foster
>> trail in Glencoe, Lower Meramec County Park in south
>county, may want to temporarily disable their caches and
> > check on them again once the water goes down. I'm sure
>> many will be missing or the logs unsignable (if that's a
>>word).
>> Rich

> Missouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived
> http://tinyurl.com/87cqw

 Steve

 Steve

--