[GeoStL] Re: Membership

  • From: "Nonya Bidniz" <_rnx_@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 19:41:22 -0400

-

[Looks like you are using a different email address]

nope, same email address, just a different name.

[Problems and issues like that are solved by practical, affordable, doable suggestions that can be turned into actions]

how about a class in how to use a zip-lock bag? or just reoccurring discussions on the geocreed http://www.geocreed.info/ . bring it up early, bring it up often. maybe we should recite a geopledge before each feeding frenzy.

[did you really read that as some sort of slight to a certain group of people or just a curious play on words]

a rose by any other name still smells ....

i agree that it's probably not worth the undulations involved in trying to find a more accurate way to refer to those who contribute financially to the cause by purchasing an annual membership (either $10/individual or $15/family) so the "curious play on words" has some validity. i do assert that we all contribute in our own way, regardless of if we pay dues.

what sticks in my craw is ... [The SLAGA staff continues to try to add additional value (such as the training classes) for "Contributing members" but we do not in anyway discriminate against those who don't contribute.] ... Special consideration for a select group of people and withheld from a larger group is my definition of discrimination. Let's call a spade a spade. All non-contributing members to the back of the SLAGA bus please.

I know that the intention of the "contributing members only" specials is to encourage more people to "contribute" cash to the coffers, but, this is a not for profit organization that is dedicated to "promote the family-oriented activity of geocaching ... while encouraging responsible stewardship of public lands".  should we add "for contributing members only" to the charter?

here's what Webster's has to say about ..

 dis·crim·i·na·tion (dĭ-skrĭm'ə-nā'shən)
n. Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit;

From: "Nonya Bidniz" <_rnx_@xxxxxxx>
To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

-

I too apologize. I am not trying to infer that SLAGA members are any worse (or better) than any other geocachers. Since SLAGA has a charter to help improve the sport, i was suggesting that we could use SLAGA resources to help improve the ethics and practices of the game.

Perhaps the name "contributing member", referring to members who pay dues, is in error and should be reconsidered. It seems to exclude member who do contribute but who don't pay dues.

I am not having a bad experience with the cache to which i referred. To the contrary, I have enjoyed having a cache that is inside the 270 loop. It gets much more activity than my other cache hides. Since i am able to monitor this cache with an obsessive compulsion I have been able to answer an age old question, "how did this stinky wad of ink stained pulp get in here?". I'm sure no one is surprised by the answer but I am surprised by the frequency of offenses. As stated at the top of this message, i was just suggesting that although SLAGA is not culpable, SLAGA can help reduce the trouble.

From: "Nonya Bidniz" <_rnx_@xxxxxxx>
To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 12:16:11 -0400

>-
>
>it wou= ld go without saying if i didn't say it, but ....
>there are more waysto = contribute than just cash. some of
>us "non-contributing members" do a sma= ll bit for the
>community.
>
>I woul= d also like to make a suggestion for a topic for a
>new SLAGA cash contrib= uting members only training class;
>"how to use a zip-lock bag" a less inf= lammatory subtitle
>could be "leaving a cache better than you found it (or= at
>least as good)".
>
>I have= the good fortune of maintaining a geocache that is
>yards away from mywo= rkplace. The close proximity allows
>me to check on the condition of this = cache 5 days/week. I
>am surprised at the number of geocachers who can not= , or
>will not close a zip-lock completely. On this particular
>cache the z= ip-lock is important because the container is
>not water tight. The baggie=is the only protection that the
>log receives from moisture (i know, it's= a design failure
>and I am only projecting my faults onto the cachers who=
>visit my little slice of heaven). Recently I had one cacher
>who turned t= he baggie inside out, wadded the log in a
>ball, inserted the wadded ball =of log into the inside out
>bag, wadded the baggie with the ball-o-log andstuffed the
>entire bundle inside the container. i guess i should be
>gladthat the container was returned to the correct
>position. This is the wor= st case to date, but several
>others have failed to close the zip-lock (na= mes have been
>withheld to protect the guilty).

Steve