[GeoStL] Re: Mark Twain Natl Forest

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:57:17 -0800 (PST)

Not sure why the link was never completed but the policy that MTNF has here is
basically as follows:

  Cache should not be placed in sensitive areas:
  Wildermess.
  Archaeological sites
  Caves
  Dangersous areas

  Just about anywhere else is fair game

  No permit required though I have always sent a note to Nancy Feakes outlining
the following:
  Where the cache is located
  How it is hidden
  What type of container
  A link to the cache page
  Reassurance that it is NOT hidden in any of the above and is not
  buried
  destructive to Forest Service property
  or dangerous without a lot of warnings

  I also include in my description any restrictions such as ATV use or off road
vehicle use

  I also provide them with feedback everytime I go to check on them as to:
  Trail usability whether any sections need maintenance
  how are the roads going in
  is there any trash being dumped
  any illegal activity
  and any thing else I can think of to keep the relationship good with them

  Nancy Feakes is a great person to work with and very understanding for a
govt. employee :)

  She would be the one to contact about the webpage but remember caching IS
Allowed with very very few restrictions so don't make them mad

  Dan

Mike Griffin <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  -
I was looking at their website for other reasons but came across their
geocaching link.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/marktwain/recreation/geocaching/

I thought it would have some policy and procedures.

Please look at it and let me know what you think.

Mike