[GeoStL] Re: Mapping software

  • From: Mike Miesner <mmeese1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 01:06:52 -0500

-
Thanks for the help guys.
I've spent the evening playing with the map in Google earth, I'll play in
Expert GPS soon.
Things don't quite match up using Google earth, perhaps I'll get a better
result in with Expert GPS.
Jim, the original map I scanned was 42" by 80", even at 100 DPI the file
size is is pretty huge.
Will a half size or quarter size image work just as well for you?
I'm having to convert from a PDF...My graphics guy at work is going to help
me with this.

Mike

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Andrew Senger <asenger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> -
> Mike,
>
> If it's a JPG, I'm almost certain you can overlay it on Google Earth
> and change the opacity.
>
> Andrew Senger
> asenger@xxxxxxxxx
> http://www.yawetag.net
> "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also
> postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports
> referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams
>

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Mike Miesner <mmeese1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > -
> > I've acquired a map of the area I live (Jefferson Barracks Park) that was
> > issued by the War Department in 1943
> > Is there anyway to overlay my 1943 map with a current map/Google Earth?
> > My old map isn't real specific as to buildings and such, but I thought it
> > would be pretty cool to see how things were situated then compared to
> > present usage.
> > Any ideas as to what software might help?
> > TIA
> >
> > Mike

> >  Missouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived  http://tinyurl.com/87cqw
> >  Missouri Geocaching land policies --> http://tinyurl.com/lgyy84