[GeoStL] Re: Island cache!

  • From: Roger Barnes <rogerbarnes51@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 09:44:20 -0600

-
Thanks for the opportunity to clarify this item. I originally intended
to use Google Maps to define an island. But I found that many islands
that can legitimately be considered an island such as Howell Island,
show as connected to the main land on Google.  So, as stated in my
note on the cache page on Nov. 14, I will consider Google Maps but
will also include anything listed in the USGS Geographic Names
Information Systems (GNIS).  GNIS can be found at
http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic and selecting island in the
feature class.  In the GNIS, Skinny Island is listed and therefore
caches there will be accepted as island caches.  The cache mentioned
at the start of this thread in Macon County shows as an island in
Google Maps so it is OK too.  There are no islands listed in the GNIS
in Macon County but as long as it shows on Google, it is OK.

One other comment, if you were to get GCJ9A1 on an island in Macon
County, it would also count as Macon County, so no need to get
another.  But if you already have an island cache and just need to add
Macon County to your list, it sounds like there are plenty waiting to
be found up there. But GCJ9A1sounds like fun anyway on a cold winter’s
day, so go for it and visit some SLAGA territory!

Roger

from this