[GeoStL] Re: Hard Core-You'd Have to Be CRAZY!

  • From: Michael Rogers <mrogers07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 10:37:54 -0700 (PDT)

Possible liar's cache?

________________________________
 From: Susan Ring <susanmring@xxxxxxx>
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:44 AM
Subject: [GeoStL] Hard Core-You'd Have to Be CRAZY!

That's the name of  cache GC34EEW in Gulf State Park.  I found it while
browsing around  AL caches.  Needless to say I won't be doing this one with the
family. But....

It has one of those harder to find D/T ratings, 2.5/5, so maybe some of y'all
who are looking to check off a square might plan a really long hard group hunt.
:-)

Here's how the cache description starts:

The terrain for this cache is very treacherous.  You will likely encounter a
lot of marshlands, briars, smilax, ticks, poison ivy, poisonous snakes, and
maybe even an alligator or two.  There are many downed trees in the area and
large holes where stumps burned out during the fire.  In many areas the ground
is extremely soft.  There were places where my feet sank several inches and my
staff sank a couple of feet with very little pressure.  It is possible that you
will come to an area where the ground appears solid, but there is a large
burned out area underneath it that can cause a cave in under your weight.
During the wet season, you will likely have to wade through the marsh to get to
the cache and you may sink to your knees muck.  Make sure you have a cell phone
and a friend with you.  Enter this area at your own risk and DO NOT take
children after this cache!!!

Sounds like a heap of fun!