[GeoStL] Re: Hamburg Event

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:58:38 -0600

Yes that is a common problem.  Since I have GPSed so many trails for my
Garmin maps, I have run into bad mileages many times.  Some parks will have
the mileages right on, some will be pretty close, and others will not even
be in the ball park.  I did one today at Rockwoods Reservation that they
said was 2 miles.  I got 1.91 (but the location they have on their map was
way off.  I think the problem is lots of the mileages and trail locations
were done pre good quality GPSs.  Many of these locations were just drawn by
hand and when you think of it, some of these people, did an amazingly
accurate job.  You have to come home and clean up the track to get an
accurate distance.

The quality of the garmin maps I make really shine in this area.  I've got
everything GPSed in the area.

Perhaps those walking could shuttle vehicles so they only have to walk one
way.  Or those of us with bikes can shuttle them.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

  _____