[GeoStL] Re: HTM#1 Witches Cemetery

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:08:59 -0500

Bernie,

That was a thought provoking message.  I think you have a good point.  I
think at the very least, caching needs to be sensitive to the points you
made, but I think there can be ways to do them that are not disrespectful.
I?ve been in some neat cemeteries looking for caches.  (And don?t forget
that time you turned into a ghost :-))  I would also point out how our
society tends to disrespect native American burial and sacred sites.  So I
would include them in the same category.

I also agree with your point on how caching can damage sensitive sites.  I
think sometimes cachers (this is NOT directed at you Dan) only think about
where they place their cache instead of where cachers will likely look.  In
sensitive areas (if a cache is appropriate), there should be clear
directions or hints to make it real easy to find to minimize the risk of
damage.

Dan,

I noticed the log talked about a no trespassing sign.  When I have seen no
trespassing signs, I respect them and do not go for the cache.  I think a
cache page needs to specifically address such a sign if permission is
granted.  IMHO, whenever a cache is on private property, I think the cache
page should indicate this and that permission has been granted.

I hear you about the cost of driving ? but the real problem is not the price
of gas.  The problem is our government will not force the car manufactures
to make our vehicles more efficient (?CAFÉ Standards?).  If your truck was
twice as efficient, you would need half as much gas.  The main reason why
the prices are going up is the demand for gas.  If cars were more efficient,
there would be less demand (and less pollution) which would result in lower
gas prices.  We have the technology to make vehicles get vastly greater
mileage and we have lots of smart people that can invent more ways.  While
Illinois Senators vote for higher CAFÉ standards, your Senators keep voting
against them.  If I were you, I would write them about this.    We are not
going to drill our way out of the mess, we need to use American ingenuity to
invent our way out.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

  _____